2018 Restoration Plan
Updated: Nov 6, 2022
The following outlines our Restoration Plan and fundraising goals for the year 2018. Your gift will help us restore this Meetinghouse and continue to tell the story of equal rights for all people, past and present.
Restoration to Date
With $550,000 from many generous donors across New York State and the nation, we have preserved, stabilized and moved the Meetinghouse to a new permanent foundation on land donated by Farmington Friends Church. Working with John G. Waite Associates, nationally known historic preservation architects, we have completed a Historic Structure Report as well as detailed architectural drawings. We are now ready for full exterior restoration.
Our Goals for 2018
Restoration of the Post and Beam Frame: Construction drawings are ready for restoration of the frame, including the end bay which was destroyed by wind and weather. The estimated cost of this major phase in restoration is $140,000.
To receive the remaining $70,000 in our New York State Environmental Protection Fund grant, we must raise and spend the $140,000 amount by November 2018.
Please join us by giving to enable this project to move forward.
Suggested levels include:
“Foundation” Gifts at $3,000 or more
“Pillars” from $1,000 and above
Gifts of any amount will be appreciated, and pledges to be paid by November are welcome.
Donations are accepted here on our website, and via mail.
Our mailing address is:
1816 Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse
P. O. Box 25053,
Farmington, New York 14425
In 1816, a rural Quaker community built a simple meetinghouse in western New York—and from that vantage point they welcomed, witnessed, and often led the great reform movements of the 19th century, expanding democracy in America. This Meetinghouse represents the confluence of movements for equal rights and social justice for all people, including African Americans, Native Americans, and women.
In 1927 the Meetinghouse became a barn. When a windstorm blew off a wall in 2006, demolition seemed unavoidable. That catastrophe galvanized a small group of local supporters to preserve and restore this nationally significant building—a simple structure with an extraordinary legacy.
We are a Museum
The 1816 Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse Museum is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization. Located within the Farmington Quaker Crossroads Historic District in Farmington, New York, the Meetinghouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the National Park Service’s Underground Railroad Network to Freedom.
We hold public programs to interpret American ideals of equal rights, past and present. Already drawing about 500 visitors a year, the restored Meetinghouse is a source of education, inspiration, civic pride, and economic development to both local residents and heritage tourists.
Future Restoration Phases
Exterior restoration: $400,000. Replace roofing ($75,000), clapboard sidings ($75,000); replace or repair doors and remaining windows ($125,000); reconstruct chimneys, ($25,000); ground floor planking, ($50,000); parking lot, walkways, landscaping and signage ($50,000).
Interior restoration: $290,000. Restore one half of interior to historic appearance, with remaining half to be used for exhibits, programs, and community gatherings.
Reconstruction of 1841 annex: $275,000. Rebuild its historic exterior, with the interior for bathrooms, offices, museum shop.